A model of intolerance within a society of “dudes”.
What is it?
How it works.
- Dudes have a red level and a blue level.
- Dudes with a large blue level and a small red level become “hippies”. Hippies turn their environment blue.
- Dudes with a large red level and a small blue level become “soldiers”. Soldiers turn their environment red.
- Dudes with low blue and red levels become “doctors”. Doctors turn their environment black (the neutral colour).
- Other dudes are "norms". They have both red and blue opinions, and these can be extreme. A norm can be pretty red, but not quite a soldier. A norm can also be pretty blue, but not quite a hippie. Or they can be pretty neutral, but not enough to become a doctor.
- The “intolerance” slider indicates the % chance that a dude will be killed if they are standing on a red (or blue) square but don’t have a high red (or blue) level. That is, they are killed for being different than those in their environment.
How to use it.
- Each tick represents a year in the life of the dudes. Dudes live to their “lifeExpectency”, and reproduce every “birthYears” in ticks. New dudes will differ from their parent’s blue and red levels by a value dictated by the “mutationLevel”.
- Blue levels run from 0 to 255. A large blue level is one that is larger than the “extremeBlueLevel”.
- Red levels run from 0 to 255. A large red level is one that is larger than the “extremeRedLevel”.
- Doctors have both blue levels and red levels smaller than the “neutralityLevel”.
Things to notice.
- Click “Setup” to seed the environment with dudes. Click “Give ’er!” to start the model running, and click it again to pause the model.
- Doctors, hippies, and soldiers will start to appear in the second generation.
WHAT'S THE POINT?
- Set the speed slider to “faster” so that many generations of dudes live, reproduce, and die every second.
- Start the model with a 0 intolerance level, extremeRedLevel and extremeBlueLevel set to 250 (extremism is relatively rare), and neutralityLevel set to 70.
- As the dudes live out their lives, you will see an even mix of red, black, and blue environments (a politically heterogeneous environment).
- While the model is running, gradually increase the intolerance level. At first, you may notice an increase in the number of doctors, and a decrease in the number of blue and red squares.
- Keep increasing intolerance. Eventually, you will see a dramatic decrease in the number of doctors and a huge increase in the number of either red or blue environments. Eventually, the society will become entirely homogenous (either all blue or red).
- Now start to decrease intolerance. The society remains homogenous until intolerance reaches 0%. Once set to 0%, it will take a long time for the society to become heterogeneous. And, even then, it will only take a slight nudge to make it homogenous again.
Heterogeneity is a good thing. Different points of view and different ways of thinking allow a society to adapt to new and unforeseen problems.
In dude world, once intolerance develops it is REALLY hard to turn the society back around.
And that's bad for the dudes.
The applet requires Java 5 or higher.
Java must be enabled in your browser settings.
Mac users must have Mac OS X 10.4 or higher.
Windows and Linux users may obtain the latest Java from
Sun's Java site.